Dangers of Rodent Bait

Image of a dead rat next to bait.

There are several general classifications of rodent poison (rodenticide) available over the counter. The most common is one that prevents blood clotting called an anticoagulant; D- con being the most easily recognized in light of the recent bans on second generation anticoagulant rodenticides.

Anticoagulant rodenticides can come in many forms from liquid, to pellets, to blocks. They are made to be palatable, thus the increase in risk to pets. When they are ingested the active ingredient is absorbed and begins blocking Vitamin K. Vitamin K is not a vitamin in the traditional sense, instead it is a molecule used by the blood during the clotting process.

Poisoning Symptoms

Unfortunately, signs of sickness begin days after ingestion. Usually signs start with weakness, tiredness and then progress to coughing. Nearly 100% of cases of anticoagulant poisonings start with bleeding into the lungs.

Treatment for Poisonings

Treatment of these anticoagulant poisonings often lags behind the initial poisoning resulting in dramatically reduced survival rates. This is often because pets do not act sick after ingesting the poison and therefore owners either are unaware it happened or believe the pet will be fine.

Treatment of these poisonings depends on how soon the pet is brought in for treatment as well as the severity of that pet’s illness. The prognosis and survival rate is dependent on early recognition of signs and treatment.

If an owner is aware that their pet ate the poison, vomiting can be induced to remove as much of the poison as possible and the pet can be started on a Vitamin K supplement until all the poison leaves the body. This reduces the risk of bleeding and the pet has an excellent prognosis with appropriate monitoring.

If a pet is already suspected to be suffering from the signs of poisoning and is bleeding into its lungs or other tissues the treatment is very different. Diagnosis is usually through a blood test that determines how long it takes for the pet’s blood to clot – these times are longer in poisoned pets. Xrays can show how severe the bleeding is into the lungs as well, providing more information for prognosis. The pet is started on Vitamin K and will often need a plasma or whole blood transfusion. The transfusion is important not only to replenish blood volume but also provides the pet with the blood clotting factors the poison is blocking.

Prevention

As with most poisons, owner awareness is critical to saving the life of the pet. Knowing what poisons are on the property and ensuring that pets do not have access is the first step in prevention of poisonings. Then, making sure to check those poisons regularly so if it is ingested, early treatment can be started.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Doctor Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Thursday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Friday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Saturday:

Closed

Closed

Sunday:

Closed

Closed

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "We are from out of town and our dog erin had an ear infection. We were able to see a doctor quickly who took care of the problem. We appreciate what you did for us."
  • "I have never been disappointed with the care received with Berwick."
  • "Great visit! I loved how they smeared peanut butter on the exam table in order to distract my puppy while the Dr gave her her vax. Great idea! I’ve never seen that before! The entire staff was professional and super friendly. They understood our full-time RV lifestyle and were very accommodating to help us to get our new puppy off to the right and healthy start. Thank you!"
  • "We still get the same high quality and friendly service that we got ten years ago. The staff at Berwick animal Hospital is exceptional. You know you’re in a good place when your pet is excited and happy about going in!"
  • "I called at the last minute wanting to get Macie in for a cytopoint injection as we were going out of town. Ashley and Bridget put their heads together and got us in and out in under 30 minutes. These ladies ROCK!"
  • "Your staff is always helpful and courteous. I appreciate their kindness."
  • "Staff were friendly, professional, and showed true concern for the health of my pet. I am truly satisfied with services I received. I would recommend Berwick Animal Hospital!"
  • "We love Dr. Douglas and everyone that works at Berwick! Y all are so sweet and make it a calming experience for our dogs instead of a stressful one."